Tulsa Mercury Free Dentist
In the 1840s dentists made a discovery that became the standard in dental care for the last 150 years. They discovered that they could make a paste of silver and mercury to place in the opening of a drilled tooth after the decay was removed. This paste would harden into a filling, securing the tooth for many years. Though called silver fillings, they were actually mostly made a mercury.
In the 1980s dental care changed again. Two new breakthroughs gave dentists another option for filling cavities in a way that is not only mercury free, but stronger than amalgam fillings. First a white composite filling material was developed that had enough strength and wear resistance to stand up to even the back teeth. Then advances in bonding technology made it possible to bond the composite fillings directly to the tooth. Dr. Cha prefers the newer technology and is a mercury-free dentist.
Advantages of Mercury Free Fillings
- Much less tooth structure has to be removed to place them.
- They bond directly to the tooth, which helps strengthen it. Amalgam fillings weaken the tooth.
- Because they do not conduct hot and cold the way the metal in amalgam fillings do, there is much less tooth sensitivity.
- They seal adjacent parts of the tooth, protecting them from decay.
- There is less post operative sensitivity.
- They blend with your natural tooth color.
If you are looking for a mercury free dentist in Tulsa, you may request an appointment with our online form, or just call our office.